Friday 27 April 2012

Homemade paint

Since I wrote the post about Seraphine, I have made two attempts to make my own paints.



The photo above shows red onion skins bubbling in a pan. The water became a deep ruby colour & I was so excited to try using it.



My experiment, even after two dips in the mixture, did not live up to the deep red it promised & gave a very disappointing result. It had the appearance of a manilla envelope!

For my second brew, I boiled up skin from the less exotic brown onion. This turned the water a golden amber colour & held a depth of colour that the first concotion had lacked. I used this first homemade paint for the eyes of the cat below.




The drawing is the first sketch for a character from a novel that I am basing some work on. I used a British Blue for the model & was quite pleased with the resulting eye colour.

1 comment:

  1. Comment received by email:

    Love the eye color experiment, how cool is that.

    Striking resemblance!

    Huw (he knows the model for the above drawing!)

    ReplyDelete